Thursday, April 12, 2007

An Experience

When reading Charles Alexander Eastman's work From the Deep Woods to Civilization it brought me directly to experiences of my childhood. Arguements immediately surfaced into my mind which surfaced around me in my growing years. Distinct rationals like, "I'm sure his great grandfather was killed but you know they also some of our grandfathers" were counterbalanced in my youth with trips to memorials; even the Wounded Knee battle field. Of course swirling around this story and our personal experiences is this question of race. What is it about race that benefits us? Why emphisis the importance of race? Well I do not know if I can answer these first two questions but I do not think it is exactly nessecary. If ten men were thown out onto a desert Island after being raised by some aliens would they not still seek out those who's DNA is pumping though their viens? If a person spends their entire life trying to be enclusive of all races and wipe out all racial tension will their children not still be intralled with the tales of grandpa and grandma's origen? Now one might remove racial tension while having the knowledge of ones own race. But the very way we learn about our race is, first, the order of decendents one generation after the next, but secondly from the particular actions, advancements, wars, myths, religion, and habits of that race. Would Eastman have written his book if he had not been moved by the very force within all of us to go back to our "people"? In America the "pale-faced man" has a halfway coehesive hole, but America can not be said to have a no majority "race". The Germans are German. The Danish are Danish. And so on, but we Americans are a "salad bowl". I could go on and on but my point is something like this; if we always focus on our race relations the only place we end is in a very self-conscious position in regard to ourselves. And who enjoys a selfish self-conscious friend? If the furies had never been appeised all Greece would be drowned in a flood of feuding blood. Therefore let us focus coming together under a real common law with real common justice to appease these generational demons.

1 comment:

D. Campbell said...

This is a thoughtful post, Chad, that gets to the underlying issues as well as responding to Eastman.